Thursday, November 13, 2008

Summoned

I just received yet another jury summons today. They must really want me because this is the third time, since I've had kids, that they've sent me that letter. Is there a shortage of eligible women in their late 20's/early 30's (be there soon)? I did my jury duty for the first time back in college. I had to defer it until summer, and then once they had me there, they didn't even want me. Well, one of the lawyers didn't want me. I have been summoned 4 or 5 times and Greg has only been summoned once (they didn't want him on their jury either). Why don't they ask him more often? He actually gets paid to do it. All I'd get is $10 (or maybe it's $15) plus mileage.

So, for the third time, I get to use the mandatory grounds for excuse--breast-feeding a child. Thank you, Aubrey! Someday maybe I'll serve on a jury. I want to be a good citizen, but maybe I can do my duty when I am no longer taking care of three small children.

6 comments:

Cheryl Licht said...

Yeah, breastfeeding is a fantastic excuse! I haven't been summoned and I hope I won't EVER, but, it usually gets people sometime. My mom got excused because she was taking care of me and Brayden while I was on bedrest. There's lots of ways out of it, I suppose. My sophomore English teacher advised that if we showed up well dressed, and acted educated and intellegent they would get rid of you first off. (Makes me feel real secure about our justice system!) Anyhow, probably if you brought up church or that your dad was a pastor that would probably suffice in disgarding you too. :-)

~Cheryl

Jenne said...

oh, i really enjoyed the jury duty experience. it was such a change of pace (i was taking care of my one child at the time, no longer breastfeeding, mind you). i have not been summoned since (that was 5 years ago or more!).

Heidi said...

I got summoned too! But i can't find a good excuse, oh well. I've never done it before so it will be interesting, so on dec 8th i'll be heading to court!

Wilson Family said...

I've always thought it would be fun - but they've never summoned me! Andy's been summoned like 3 times, so maybe I'll get my chance one of these days.

Kristi said...

You know, I get summoned a LOT too...more than it seems the average person should. And one time as I was on the phone being excused I asked the lady why I seem to get summoned so often and she said it was probably b/c of my last name..McKenney..she said it's possible that some places they lottery from have it spelled with a space btw the c and k and some places might have it the other way. Maybe your last name has the same problem..maybe some spell it with two 't's and some with one?

Pate Family said...

I have been excused three times for breast-feeding also, and one time because I called and told them that they day they had me scheduled was exactly one week to the day before I was scheduled to be induced with my third child. I said I'd be happy to come, but I can't sit for more than about 10 minutes at a time in one place. Turns out they wern't that interested in having me show up!So I have been excused four times for baby issues. Andrew has had to go a couple of times, the last time he was sitting in the room and in walks Randy Alcorn, also in the Jury pool. Neither of them got called, they just got to chat and go out to lunch. Sounds good to me...