Thursday, January 24, 2008

Child-like Faith

Kari asked me to measure her on the growth chart behind the door in her room, so we went in and she stood nice and tall to be measured. She'd grown barely a quarter of an inch since the last time we checked a couple months ago. Apparently, that was not satisfactory in her mind because she said, "Just a minute, Mom. I need to go pray." She ran across the hall to the other room, sat on the ottoman, bowed her head, folded her hands, and prayed, "Dear Jesus, help me grown strong and healthy. Amen." She got up and ran back across the hall and said, "Ok, measure me now!"

Fully expecting to have grown a whole bunch, she was a little disappointed when I measured her. I tried to use this teachable moment to explain how God doesn't always answer our prayers the way we want and while, yes, he can do anything, it usually takes a long time for kids to grow. Unphased, she said, "Oh," and ran off to play. It was pretty funny.

It got me thinking, though, about how I need to have a more faith in God to do the "impossible."

1 comment:

Barry Arnold said...

That is FANTASTIC! I'm surprised the Lord didn't grow her a half-inch! May her faith only increase!