Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In all our spare time (during naps and after the kids are down for the night)

Our summer house project has been new windows, and the end is in sight! We started this project in June and have been working on it bit by bit. We had old, ugly metal windows with broken seals. In the summer the heat poured in (and the slider was a BEAR to open and close), and in the winter the cold air blew in. When our front window cracked this last winter, we decided it was finally time to do it. Greg has put in a lot of hours and done a really good job, and once again, we had great help from family and friends. I am so happy with how they've turned out! They look so much nicer inside and out, and with this hot weather I've really noticed a difference in how much less heat is coming in. I'm sure it'll be nice this winter, too, to not have the cold seeping in and the wind blowing in. Another thing I've noticed is they're much more sound proof than the old ones. If the windows are shut, I can't hear the kids outside! I was watching them play in the backyard while I worked in the kitchen (There's not a lot I love about our kitchen, but the window looking out into the back yard is something I do love and want in our next house). I had the house closed up 'cause it was hot out, and I could see Aubrey's crying face (she tripped and fell), but I couldn't hear her! So strange. Now I know I have to keep the window cracked.

Here's Brian cutting out our old kitchen window. He was the master saw-man



And here is the new kitchen window. Ahhh! So nice.

And here's the front (the trim isn't quite finished on the back). We're making progress on this little house. We make improvements every year--slow but sure.





4 comments:

Barry Arnold said...

Great job, Greg! You've become a real do-it-yourselfer!

Denee said...

Those windows look soooo nice! I'm hoping we'll follow in your footsteps sometime in the not too distant future.

Stephanie L. said...

Looks so nice! It's all the little things that make such a difference. Nice job, Moffats!

Cheryl Licht said...

Oh, house projects..... Good job Greg! It looks great.