Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Last Day for Seniors

I shed tears multiple times on the seniors' last day of school. It started in the morning with two unexpected visits from past students. A boy I had in class last year stopped by my room before school with Starbucks, a Chick-Fil-A breakfast sandwich, and this big basket full of gifts. I was completely shocked and confused because this student failed my class both semesters last year, and I pestered him just about every day, gave him a pencil when he didn't have one, checked in with him constantly, trying to get him to complete assignments and do the work in my class. English is his second language, and I remember going to the ELL teacher across the hall last year, trying to figure out how to get through to this student, as nothing I was doing was working. She told me she thought I was doing all I could, and that he had just decided to fail. It was disheartening to me, as I knew he was capable of doing the work but just wouldn't try. 

So, when he came into my room and told me that he was graduating and that he was enrolling in Mt Hood Community College to major in business, I was absolutely floored and so happy for him. He had a great big smile on my face. 

When he handed me the gift basket, he said, "I just wanted to say thank you." My response was, "But you didn't do anything in my class, and I pestered and bothered you all the time, probably annoying you every day!" His response is what brought me to tears. He said, "I know, but I knew that you cared."  

Overwhelmed with emotion, I thanked him for his generous gifts and for his kind words and for coming to say goodbye. It was one of the sweetest moments I've had as a teacher. 

When he was still standing there by the door, another student came in and gave me a note and some earrings his mom had made for me. He said, "I wanted to say thank you and good-bye and to tell you that you were my favorite teacher." This student struggled a bit academically--very sweet kid and very quiet--but he did well in my class. I had no idea he enjoyed my class. More tears welled up in my eyes, and the three of us stood there awkwardly but smiling. I asked if I could give them each a hug. They said yes. I wished them well, and I started first period with a full-to-bursting heart and teary eyes. 

I do not need to be anyone's favorite teacher, and there are plenty of students who I know do not enjoy having me as a teacher, but I care deeply for my students and take great pride in what I do. It's amazing to get to hear when you make a difference in someone's life. Most of the time we don't get to hear. It was a good reminder for me that you just never know who you might be impacting and to keep trying, keeping caring about kids, and keep doing my best as their teacher. 



Later that morning, during 3rd period, the seniors did their "grad walk" through the halls of Barlow. We lined the hallways outside our classrooms with our students to wave at, clap for, and congratulate the seniors as they walked the halls for the last time. More tears flowed as Joel, his friends (many of whom I have known since kindergarten), and past students walked by, happy and excited to be graduating. Lots of enthusiastic waves, hugs, and greetings of "Hi, Mrs. Moffat!" I was a sappy mess of happy tears.  They left on buses to walk through the elementary and middle schools. Grant loved getting to see Joel and so many friends walk by at West O. I had several thoughtful friends send me photos of Joel at the grad walks. 





No comments: