Friday, September 11, 2009

I think it's gonna be ok

Kari and I went to her new school this morning for a preliminary screening and to meet her teacher. I have been anxious about this visit, considering the last time we were at her school (last spring for kindergarten round-up), Kari hated it and sobbed for 45 minutes after we got home because she didn't want to go to kindergarten. We've worked hard trying to prepare Kari for this new experience and have talked a lot about her new school, trying to change her mind and help her not be so scared. Today's visit went very well, even better than I expected. Kari responded to their questions and did what was asked of her. She got to see her classroom and the cubby where she'll put her backpack and jacket. She let the teacher hold her hand and show her the different areas of the room. The teacher talked with her for a while and at the end gave her a "special delivery" envelope to tote to and from school (kind of a message/mail system for communication between parents and teacher), and after I'd talked with the teacher, too, we came home. No trauma, no tears. Yeah!

This afternoon I pulled all the papers out of the envelope to sort through them, and I found this:

I remembered hearing Kari ask where her scissors were right after we got home and saw her working on something but didn't think much about it. She's always busy working on some little project these days. She wrote this little note and slipped it into the envelope without a word to me about it. You see, the teacher had told Kari when she gave her the envelope that she really likes it when students draw pictures and write letters at home and bring them in the envelope for her. I think our little kindergartener is getting excited to go to school. I'm so glad. And I think she already likes her teacher. We'll see how Tuesday goes--for me and for her!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mars said...

That is so sweet!

Pate Family said...

I'm so happy it went well! I'm also quite impressed with her lower case letters- nice work!