Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wonder Anew

Aubrey turned 18 months this week and is the epitome of toddlerhood--so cute, so fun, and such a little stinker! She screamed and squirmed and wouldn't stay on the scale at her well-child visit, so we don't really know exactly how much she weighs, but basically, she's tall and big but taller than she is big. She's growing just fine.

One of the things I love about being a mom and staying home with my kids is getting the privilege of seeing things through their eyes. The kids and I were taking a walk one sunny morning when all of a sudden Aubrey starts screaming, pointing to the ground, and running in circles. She kept looking over her shoulder as if someone were chasing her. Something was chasing her--her very own shadow. I rescued her from that dark, scary thing and picked her up, waving so she could see my shadow waving to us. The fear dissipated and then she was completely enthralled. She spent the next 15 minutes waving and saying, "Hi, sa-doh!" over and over again. We live in an amazing world, don't we? Black things on the ground follow us and wave back at us! When I stop and take a break from the laundry, the computer, the cleaning, and everyday chores and spend quality time with my kids, I get to see the world through their eyes, and I feel a new sense of wonder of and appreciation for God's greatness, the earth he created, and the precious children he's given me.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Barry Arnold said...

Our shadows follow us everywhere and we don't even notice. What a delight to see the world through a child's eyes!

Faith said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful post. I needed to read that during this time of adjusting to 3 kids and less sleep and frustrating moments. Thank you for the timely reminder! By the way, I can't BELIEVE she is 18 months! Wow!

Wilson Family said...

Very well put, thanks for the reminder

Pate Family said...

Oh that story is so wonderful. What a cutie she is!