Thursday, July 31, 2008

Just can't get anything done around here!

I've been trying for two days (key word is trying) to pack for our upcoming beach vacation, and I just can't seem to make any progress. I'm a list person, and, normally, I love making my packing list and getting everything all organized and packed. This year it's not going so well. Must be the addition of a 3rd child. I don't really know. At least one of the three (sometimes all three!) has been crying or needing something at all times of the day. My list is a partial list, and our bags are still not packed. So, rather than buckle down and try to do it, I've given up, been playing with the kids, and now I'm blogging about it. Guess we'll be last-minute packers this time! There are stores at the coast, too, for all those things I'm forgetting. How's that for a new strategy?

6 comments:

G&G Viertell said...

Hi Andrea! I can identify with the las!t minute packing thingy! Ask Leah about the time her brother wanted to pack for himself and ended up with one t-shirt for a whole week at Lake Almanor! Last weekend we went to Carmel for a wedding and I left behind my flip flops for the beach and my jeans and a lightweight jacket! Play with the kids, that you can't replace!

Jenne said...

Yes, playing with the kids is usually the better choice anyway.

And here's one tip for scattered (or scatter-brained) packing: Whether you are a list-maker or not, put a large post-it note on each of your kid's doors (one post-it per kid). Write their name on the top of it. If you are in the middle of packing and realize that the next thing on your list is all the way across the house, or is yet-to-be-found (MIA), just write it on the post-it and continue packing. That way, every moment you have is spent packing, rather than running all over the house.

Andrea, I imagine that your house is more on the organized side, so you might never have that problem, but with three kids and two house levels, I can look like a headless chicken on packing days.

We are camping next week, so I also will put ost-its in the kitchen, for when I am packing foodstuff and I also will have a post-it for things I need Ryan to get for me.

Of course, if large post-its are not available, then a piece of paper taped up to the door works just as well!

And remember to keep two pens in your pocket all day (or keep a pen in each bedroom).

Jenne said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the post-its go on the outside of the door, so you see them often and can write on them, even during naptime!

Cheryl Licht said...

Good job on just being more relaxed about life! I'm in the process of learning it, and only have two. So high five to you! You'll have fun at the coast, regardless of what is packed or not, I'm sure.

Kristi said...

Last minute packing is the only way I can do it! And hey, it's fun to have an excuse to buy a new "item" that you forgot. =)

Amy Woodard said...

I totally understand the whole packing thing! You have a great attitude about it! Good job! That's hard to do sometimes.