Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Reality

I shed some tears this afternoon when I heard the news that school will remain closed for the rest of the academic year. (See the tear drops?) I knew this was likely to happen, but a wave of emotion hit me when it became official. I’m not even sure what the tears were over. Everything just feels weird and different, and I like it when things feel normal and the same. It’s difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that the kids will be home and not going back to school for at least 5 months. They’ll be doing school but not GOING to school. That’s weird.

Eventually, I will see more blessings, but right now, today, I’m feeling the losses again. Official word that spring sports are canceled—no track, no spring basketball, no tennis matches. No 8th grade “lasts”/experiences, no band concerts, no Barlow freshmen night, no 8th grade promotion, no Honor roll awards, no Oaks Parks day, no field day and “hot squads.”

I’ve always said I wished our kids could just skip middle school with all the awkwardness and social drama. Guess what? It’s happening! Two of the kids are skipping a third of a middle school year. 


Kari just reminded me that we won’t have to pack lunches for at least 5 months either. That’s something to celebrate. Going to keep looking for the blessings and gifts in all of this. God is the same. He hasn’t changed, and I can rest in that truth.




No comments: