Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Broken Ankle

The evening of December 9th, Joel was playing in his 3rd basketball game of the school ball season, went up for a layup (stole the ball and made the basket, I hear—very important detail), and came down wrong, breaking the bottom of his tibia and fibula. I got there 5 minutes late (was dropping Grant off at water polo on my way), and it had already happened! Thankfully, grandparents were there. Joel's coaches were carrying him out to the parking lot just as I pulled in.  Urgent care (right next to the school) got him back pretty quickly. He was hurting bad, shaking and sweating. His ankle swelled immediately. They put him in an air cast/boot, and sent us home with crutches. 

I had a new task after that night's urgent care visit with Joel. When he was getting x-rays, the tech said, “We need to get that sock off. I can try to take it off...or I can cut it off.” If you know Joel (or any teenage basketball player), you know his love for Nike elite socks runs deep. As he’s shaking, sweating, and struggling to breathe normally from the pain, he looks at me and asks, “Will you buy me a new pair? I really like these ones.” I say yes (of course), and he tells the tech, “Cut it off.” ðŸ˜‚Got online the next morning—mission accomplished! 

Two days later, we had an appointment with the orthopedic doctor who confirmed that he did indeed have two broken bones and put him in a cast. He'll be in it for 4 weeks, no weight-bearing at all, with 4-6 weeks of physical therapy after that (and no physical activity). The good news was the bones were not displaced, so no surgery needed! We are so bummed for him, though. This boy loves his basketball! He will be missing the entire season of school ball and most of his other team's season, as well. 


Joel has had a great attitude through it all. He amazing friends and family who love him and have shown that love in so many ways. He received all kinds of notes, gifts, and messages that week. It meant so much to Joel and to us, too. 















No comments: