Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Fall Happenings

We've gone to a few Barlow football games at the new stadium. It's so nice! Parking is an issue, as they still have portable classrooms taking up a large portion of the parking lot, but we have to get there early anyway because Kari has to be there by 6pm for pep band. The Rasmussens have to be there even earlier for Katelin with dance, so we always have someone to sit by and chat with. Those nights have been fun.

I attended a 3 hour parent meeting with Kari to start driver's ed and learned some updated driving techniques and tips. The statistics convinced me even more that this was a good thing for our kids to do!

The new school year brings so much paperwork and so many forms to fill out. I came home from a meeting one night and found Greg doing some of that parent homework, and I was so grateful!

My dad grew some ginormous pumpkins this year, and of course, our kids drew the numbers for the largest ones. :-) We have a big fall porch display this year. I love it!



We got a box of huge Honeycrisp apples from Burns farm and have been enjoying apples and pumpkin treats, too, now that fall has truly set in.

Greg and I were in charge of the maze again for the Harvest Hustle. We discovered some mice had gotten into the big bucket of stakes that were stored in an outbuilding at West Orient. Mice were flying out when they pulled stakes out of the bin! Most escaped, but one met his demise between pieces of wood. Joel took it to the woods for us. :-)

I went the eye doctor and got some new glasses, so the kids can't make fun of me anymore for my 25 year old wire-rimmed frames.

Kari's feet were hurting her when she was running, so she drove us to downdown Portland to a fancy running shoe store and got fitted for shoes that are just right for her. It took us 20 minutes to find a parking spot, and while I was nervous, she did a great job maneuvering the narrow streets in our big ol' minivan. Should have driven the Civic!

We bought the Tundra from Mom and Dad M. this month, too, and I spent an hour and a half at the DMV getting a new title. There's a very good reason Disney chose the sloth as the DMV characters in Zootopia. I kept thinking of that movie as I was sitting there, waiting all morning. Kari will be driving the Civic come December. We are a 3-car family now!

One other big thing for me this fall is representing West Orient on the boundary committee. We meet every Tuesday for two hours until mid November. The principal asked if I'd do it, and I decided I could. It's been a fascinating process so far--lots of tension and emotion and lots of insights into the workings of the district and all the principals.

I've done a fair amount of subbing already, too--8 times in September and 8 scheduled in October, as well. I've been fighting allergies the last couple weeks and haven't been feeling great. My body threw in the towel yesterday, and I've got my first sinus infection of the season. I'll have a nice, red nose for when I sub at Barlow tomorrow. Oh well!

Kari and I finished a fall puzzle last week. She worked on it with me during study breaks. I'm thinking of busting out another puzzle. It's one of my favorite things to do these days when I need to relax and stop "doing." I especially like working on a puzzle while listening to an audiobook.

It'll be Thanksgiving and Christmas before we know it! Time, slow down a bit!

No comments: