Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great Grandma's with Jesus

Grant and I visited Great Grandma last Wednesday, not knowing it was to be the last time we'd see her this side of heaven. She went to the hospital with chest pain on Saturday and was gone by the following Friday afternoon. It was as if her body finally realized it was 99 and not 79. I'm thankful she didn't have to move to a new home, didn't have to suffer for long. I know she was ready to see Jesus and be reunited with Papa and so many others, and I'm happy for her, but I'm sad for us. I'm going to miss her!

Great Grandma Carrie was an amazing woman--kind, sweet, bright, spunky, spirited, stylish, generous, friendly, and so positive. I've said it before, I want to be like her when I'm a grandma. It was always a treat to get to visit her and Papa when I was a kid, and I have lots of fun memories of those visits--Nerds, fudge pops, trips to Bi-Mart, the house in Florence and seeing the sea lions, sprinkling Papa with the can of "love," watching her arrange flowers for church, going to church at Berean Baptist, helping her "set a pretty table," listening to her stories. I've felt the same way as I've gotten older--still a treat to visit Great Grandma. I've loved having her close by these last five years or so. The kids and I would visit her every other week or two and bring her a little something each time--flowers, a card, muffins, cookies, chocolate, etc. I wanted my kids to know her, and I'm so thankful they were able to! I'd bring all the kids every once in a while (and Grandma LOVED it when Greg came, too), but most of the time, I just brought the younger two, before Aubrey was in school all day. Then the last two years, it's mostly been just Grant and me. Grandma was always happy to see us, and she always exclaimed it had been "so long!" since she'd seen us. :) We were pretty careful to never come if someone was or had been sick. We didn't want to be the ones to make Great Grandma sick! She was always worried Grant was going to forget her, though, if it had been more than a couple weeks between visits. Not a chance! He won't forget you, Grandma, and neither will I. Looking forward to seeing you again in heaven someday.































1 comment:

Vicki said...

Beautiful, Andrea! Love to see all the pictures through the years.