Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I've been called out

My cousin, Cheryl, so kindly commented on the fact that I didn't include any discussion of my recent birthday in my latest post. I turned 30, yes 30, on Sunday, and am I in denial? Maybe a smidge. Sunday was a strange day. I taught our intergenerational Sunday school class at church on Sunday morning, and my kids and niece and nephew were eager to let everyone know that it was my birthday. They all sang to me, and so "everyone" knew it was my birthday, and a big one at that. My parents watched the kids for us after church, and Greg and I went to a movie and had a nice dinner out together. We came back and had cake and ice cream with my family that evening. It was a nice day, pretty low-key, and great to have some time with just Greg, but for some reason, I was extremely tired and in a bit of a funk all day. [Sidenote: No, I'm not pregnant.] I didn't think turning 30 would have any effect on me, but apparently it did. I just felt weird. This year I didn't particularly enjoy all the extra attention that comes with a birthday. I'm not exactly sure what my problem was. It's not that I'm unhappy with my life or anything. In fact, things have really gone according to "plan," and I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing right now. I have a wonderful husband to whom I've been married for eight and half years. I have three great kids-5, 3, and 11 months. I'm right on schedule. So, I don't have an explanation for my emotional birthday funk, but I'm glad it's over, (I was totally fine the next day), and I'm glad the next big milestone is 10 years away. :)

Back to photos of the kids. We had snow again yesterday, but it's all gone today.



Aubrey turned 11 months on my birthday. My baby is going to be one in less than a month! That's something to cry about.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cheryl Licht said...

Thank you Anrea for filling us all in. :-) And you know the only reason I could give you a hard time about it is cause I'm already there. :-) For me it wasn't the day that was hard, but the weeks leading up to it. I think what changed my attitude (dread) the most was when my mom mentioned that certain numbers seem to be significant to God, you know like 7, 12, etc. But she mentioned that the age 30 seems to be significant --- priests could become priests at the age fo 30, and Jesus started His ministry at 30! Pretty cool, eh? Maybe that's why things are suddenly opening up for Philip and I this year???? Anyhow, glad you're not feeling as "funked" now, and that you had a nice day with Greg. I really do love you. :-)
Cheryl

Marianne Wick said...

Andrea - I can totally relate to your having a hard time turning 30. My 30th BD was a downer for me as well. I think it's the transition to major 'adulthood' and also that you don't feel that old so how can you be that old? Trust me, 40 is a piece of cake compared to 30 so the worst is over. On a happier note, you truly are one blessed 30 year old - Happy Birthday and may God 'wow your socks off you' this year. We should be down in June, will be so fun to see those cute kids in person! ( :

G&G Viertell said...

Andrea! Happy Belated Birthday! At 55 now, I don't well remember my 30th, I was very busy with a 3 year old and a very sick 1 year old! the 1-9's aren't too bad, but the "0"'s seem to get to me!!!!!!!! Enjoy this time, it goes by tooooo fast, and then your 3 year old is turning 30!! We hope to be up sometime in Feb- maybe see you then! Gramma Jann