Friday, December 09, 2016

Snow and Ice

We got our first snow day on Thursday...and our second one on Friday. I was supposed to sub in Russell's first grade class on Friday, so I was a little disappointed that there was no school, but I think I was the only one with those feelings. :)

I subbed for the first time in twelve years two weeks ago, in Aubrey's class! It was so much fun. Then I subbed in Joel's class, one day in a 4th grade class at East Orient, and then a day at Barlow High School, which was a very different experience. The school itself looks almost exactly the same. The biggest change I noticed, though, was the battle with the students and their cell phones. Basically, I was the cell phone police all day long. Every kid has a phone, and they are all very attached to them but aren't allowed to have them out in class without permission. I enjoyed interacting with the students, though, and I'm looking forward to more sub jobs at the high school. After a very full couple of weeks, however, these unexpected days at home have been nice.

It snowed one of the days I was subbing, but we went outside for recess anyway because it was fun! It didn't stick.

It was 8:30am, and the kids saw snow flurries and just had to be outside. It took half the day for the snow to accumulate and stick. The kids' excitement was over-the-top. They spent the whole afternoon outside. 







The freezing rain began around 4pm. School was cancelled the next day, too, because of the ice. I love how beautiful the plants and trees are after an ice storm. It's impossible to go anywhere until it melts (can't drive on ice!), but it sure is pretty. Greg worked from home for the first couple hours and then went into work later in the day when the temperatures rose above freezing.




ice from two leaves



It was a perfect day for a puzzle, too. These will be happy memories!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Greg and Andrea. I wanted to thank you for the Christmas letter and the update on your busy and growing family. You are indeed entering a new chapte, one of mamy new chapters to come. You will enjoy it and navigate the yet to be revealed challenges that arise well. Feliz Navidad, prospero año y felicidad, Merlin