Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Workin' boy

Grant's recent toy obsession, thanks to his friend, Ethan, is Pokemon. Grant decided he wanted to buy a Pokemon belt like Ethan's, a velcro belt with hooks in it to hold the pokeballs that have the toy figures inside. (I really don't understand this whole Pokemon thing.)  He had some money in his spend jar but not nearly enough to purchase the (overpriced) belt. We told him he could work for the money, do extra chores and tasks and get paid for them. I've never seen him so motivated to help! He went around cleaning up and straightening my living room, putting the pillows back on the couch and muttering under his breath about how "no one ever leaves things where they're supposed to go." I got a good chuckle out of that. I paid him to vacuum the stairs, clean windows, dust, and pick up. He cheerfully did everything I asked and was quick to remind me if I didn't pay him right away. Grandpa paid him to help clean up his shop floor, after he heard that Grant was seeking work. I'm not sure Grandpa got his money's worth, but Grant sure was excited to have the last bit of the money he needed. I ordered the Pokemon belt before Grant had all the money he needed, knowing it might take a while to get here. Unfortunately, it took longer than predicted, and we had several days of waiting that were pretty torturous for Grant.

Finally, it came! He was so happy....until he had to hand over all his money. Then he cried. We had talked about this so much, I knew he knew that it was going to cost him his money. He told me he didn't want to give ALL his money, because then he wouldn't have any left. Yes, my son, that is how these things go. You work hard and then you have to hand over your money. It was a great learning experience for him. He's been playing with his hard-earned toy just about every day for the last two weeks, so it was a worthwhile purchase, I guess!



No comments: