Monday, September 14, 2015

First Days of School


Kari, Joel, and Aubrey all had a good first week. Aubrey was happy to see her friend, Makayla, in the desk right next to hers. The district is in the process of hiring another teacher for 2nd/3rd grade, so we'll find out in the next week or so where Aubrey will be for the year. We're hoping she will get to stay where she is with her friend and the teacher we know and like!


Joel seems happy and well-settled into his class. He was excited to start 4th grade. He says the best days are the first day and the last day of school, and the rest in between are just ok. He has his friend, Colby, in his class this year.

Kari's first day was "boring," according to her. She did not like the 6th grade orientation day. Sounds like the school needs to reevaluate the way they are running their program and do a better job of training their student leaders (8th graders). She said they had to listen to a bunch of rules, didn't get to put their stuff away in their lockers, didn't get to go to each of their seven classes, and then spent the whole afternoon playing "dumb" games. She was ready for real school! The rest of the week was better. We have yet to figure out exactly when to leave the house to drop her off. Our routine has been different every day. It's very important that we time it right. :) Middle school anxiety has been high this last week. This week should be easier as she gets into routines. I took a quick photo as she was walking into the school the first day (with her friend, Ellie), and I may have shed a couple tears as I was driving away. It felt like I was throwing my daughter to the wolves. She didn't get eaten, though. She was fine--just bored.


The first-born and last-born are drop-off buddies. I take Joel and Aubrey to school first then come back and take Kari and then Grant. 
Today was Grant's first day. He's going to the same preschool he went to last year but is in the 5-year-old class this time and goes three days a week instead of just two. We were both excited for him to start. Last week was a little rough for him, being left behind while everyone else was at school. He marched right into his class. I gave him a quick hug and kiss, trying not to linger and be that annoying parent, but then as I was walking out the door, I turned around and saw him still standing in the middle of the room, looking like he didn't know what to do. I immediately regretted my hasty departure and wished I'd stayed a little longer to help him get settled at an activity, but it was too late and would have been awkward to go back in. So, I left, feeling guilty, and prayed for his morning as I ran errands. He gave me a big hug when I came to pick him up, and I let him play on the playground. While he was swinging, I asked him if I said goodbye too soon that morning, and he said, "No, it was perfect." :-)

No comments: