Monday, November 03, 2014

Room Switch

I feel very behind on my blog posts. I'm going to try to catch up this week. Fall just blew by, and I couldn't keep up! It didn't help that our computer died and had to be sent in for repairs, which took two weeks. Thankfully, it was under warranty, and we didn't lose any photos or other files. It was a pretty painless computer issue.

At the end of September, I started thinking about our kid room situation and how Aubrey, at 6 1/2 years old, was needing to no longer share a room with her little brother.  It's been the plan all along that eventually Joel and Grant would share. I casually broached the subject of switching with Joel, who has had his own room for the last two years, and he surprised me when he didn't object at all to giving up his room and sharing with Grant. He even hinted at the fact that sometimes he gets lonely in his room. Once I opened up the topic for discussion, the kids couldn't stop talking about it. They were all anxious to make the switch, even Kari, who wasn't making any changes herself. She does love to organize, though, so she helped them move and organize their things. In fact, they did almost all the moving before I was ready! The announced one morning that they had already moved the bedding, and Joel was going to sleep in the bunk room that night and Aubrey was going to sleep in Joel's room. So, they did. Then I went to work on the painting and décor.

The stripes I had so carefully painted three years ago proved very difficult to cover. I sanded and painted and tried my best to get rid of the lines, but I finally had to give up and just say, "Oh well." They're not too noticeable, but I know they're there. Maybe we'll retexture the wall someday, but not now. Aubrey loves her purple room.

I pitched the room switch idea to Joel by telling him we could make the orange room into an Oregon State room--new bedding, new curtains, new OSU pillowcases, and some wall stickers. One of the walls is still white, so we're making that one into a Seahawks wall. Those were the colors of his other room, and he wanted to still use his Seahawks posters from Grandpa M. I got away without having to paint, and Joel and Grant are very happy with how it all turned out. Grant loves everything Joel loves. The boys are getting along very well sharing a room, and Aubrey is loving having her own space.

Here are the finished products:
 


No comments: