Tuesday, September 02, 2014

First Day of School

I wasn't sure I was ready for the first day of school, but here it is! We had the best summer we've had in a long time, and I think that's why I've had a difficult time saying good-bye to summer and hello to fall this year. Usually, by the time August rolls around, I am feeling ready for kids to go back to school, for schedules and all that fall brings, but that didn't happen this year. That feeling never came! We did a lot of fun stuff this summer, but we also had a lot of relaxing days, too. It was the perfect mix. I think the fact that we no longer have a toddler is what made this summer feel so much easier. Every summer for years and years, I've had a little one (or two or three) whom I've had to chase, but not this summer! Grant turned four, and that was a beautiful thing. All four kids swam in the pool (plus sometimes a friend or two), and I didn't have to get in if I didn't want to. I read lots of books this summer, which I really enjoyed. The kids played outside a lot, with each other and with friends and neighbors, and for the most part, got along!

But, it's time for the transition to school now, and we'll enjoy this season, as well. Grant and I are going to have a lot of time together, and I plan to soak it up. He starts his two mornings of preschool next week, (he is VERY excited), but he and I will have all day together Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It'll be a bit of an adjustment. It's been kind of strange today with the three older kids gone all day, but we'll get used to it soon and find our new normal.

Grant refused to get in the picture because he wasn't going to school today.

1st grade, 3rd grade, and 5th grade
 
 
 

No comments: