Thursday, August 24, 2023

This and That in August

 We had a hot spell for a few days when it was over 100 degrees. While I'm very thankful for AC on those days, I really dislike air-conditioned air and really hate having to keep our windows closed. I also HATE being cold in my house when it's warm outside. Greg and I have an ongoing temperature war. You'd think we'd have things worked out after 23 years, but nope. I still want it warmer in the house, and he wants it colder. So, I go outside in the evenings to get warm and wear sweaters and blankets in the house. It's better for our marriage when it's in the 70's and 80's. :-)

Aubrey, Joel, and Grant have all been taking tennis lessons from the fancy tennis pro, Farhad, and Coach Pate has been working with them in between, as well. Lots of tennis happening this month.

Grant helped me pick apples at the Obrist's this last week. They had three trees they weren't doing anything with and generously offered to let us pick, so I have been making many batches of applesauce. I still have one big bag of apples in the outside fridge. Our family loves applesauce--and pretty much all fresh fruit. More peaches are coming next week. 

We also were given multiple bunches of bananas, so I made us of those by making multiple loaves of chocolate chip banana bread and a batch of chocolate banana muffins. Gotta do all these domestic things before I head back to work and life gets crazy again. We've been going through closets, sorting, and getting rid of things we don't need this month. Kari has helped all her siblings sort through their rooms. We're paring down! The bonus room is looking more empty, too. We gave a bunch of old toys, puzzles, and games away, and I packed up three big bins of toys for someday-grandkids. I saved the wooden train sets, blocks, classic kid games, Ravensburger puzzles, the tea set, the little animals and dinosaurs, the cars and planes, and the Playmobil. We still have all the Lego and Magformers upstairs. Feels good to get rid of stuff and get organized. 

Aubrey started water polo daily doubles and workouts last week. Coach Mike and Coach Dawn work those kids hard! Aubrey comes home exhausted and hungry. She's getting stronger every day. She has great teammates, and we're so glad she's playing again. She found out yesterday that she's on varsity this year but will get to play down on JV to get more playing time, which is the best of both worlds. It's going to be a fun, full season. 










No comments: