Sunday, June 07, 2020

End of May

Things at home have been about the same. I've taken photos of everyday happenings, and kids have been finding ways to occupy their time--Legos, hammocks, baking, board games, video games, bike-riding, and swimming (when it was nice weather).  We got to go to the church office for the live service on Memorial Day weekend. It was fun to be there with a handful of others and not just watching on TV.

The last weekend of the month saw weather extremes. Friday night we went swimming because it was in the mid 80's, but we woke up early Saturday morning to an unusually long and active thunderstorm and 20 degrees cooler. It rained all day, and we had more thunder and lightning that afternoon. Kari and Kylee were outside under umbrellas in the driveway when it was just raining. We made them come in when we heard thunder again. :) 

On Sunday we had church at home in the morning. The sun came out in the afternoon, and we met some friends down at Oxbow park to play in the field and chat. It was great to see friends and get out for a bit. 

My grandma roses have been in full bloom these last couple weeks. I just love them--so pretty, so fragrant, and I love having a piece of family history growing in my yard. My bush is a cutting from my dad's, who brought his cutting back from Great-Grandma Harrington's home in upstate New York. My grandma up in Alaska has a cutting from her mother's house, too. 

Blake and Lindsay brought me a bouquet of peonies from their yard one evening. The blooms are absolutely beautiful! I need to plant some in our yard. I've noticed them in others' yards as we've been going on all our walks. Add that to my to-do list--plant peonies!





part of a project for school

Another school assignment



















I've especially enjoyed the beauty of these flowers, as life and the state of our country feels dark and heavy lately. The death of George Floyd at the hands of a white policeman in Minnesota has ignited protests, riots, and a lot of pain across our country. I saw the video, and it is chilling and horrible. He could not breathe, and the police officer kept his knee on that man's neck for over 8 minutes. So awful. I feel at a loss for words and haven't known what the "right" thing to say is. George Floyd is not the only one who has died unnecessarily, and people in our country are enraged. I have so many thoughts, so many emotions about it all.  Murder is wrong, racism is wrong, destroying property is wrong, violence and hatred against police is wrong, name-calling is wrong, and it's wrong that children we know are fearful that they or their family members may be mistreated or killed because of the color of their skin. My heart hurts with those who have experienced racism firsthand. I've been trying to listen and understand, and I know that I, as a white woman, can't fully understand, but I'm listening and I'm talking with our kids about all these issues.  Social media is a mess right now between COVID, protests and riots, and the upcoming election.  It seems that no matter what we say right now, it upsets someone.  I'm praying for our nation, our leaders, and praying for justice, for peace, for safety, and for God to heal what's been broken. 

No comments: