Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Rocky morning

The week before Christmas break was a full week, with no margin for issues. But we had an issues. Grant had a tough time that Tuesday morning. His teacher had set up "Secret Santa" for students in his class, and we had not prepared sufficiently (who has time for extra things like that in late December?!). We were short on time that morning, and Grant had a meltdown because he didn't know what to give his person that day. He had put a rock and a shell necklace that we had brought back from Hawaii for him in a sealed envelope and then lied to me about what was in the envelope. He started crying and said he was sorry for lying, and then he continued to cry as he told me that his assigned "Secret Santa" person was a girl who "isn't very nice" to him and that he didn't really want to give her anything.  So, we had the lying issue on top of the all other emotions and issues.  I realized in the midst of this mini-crisis, that it was time for me to leave. I was subbing at East Orient that morning. So, I told him to draw her a picture and that we would talk more after school. It wasn't a great way to leave the kids, with Grant in an unsettled, emotional state, but I had to go.

Well, at about 8:20, I checked my phone and saw multiple missed calls and texts. I had been going over lesson plans and talking with other teachers. The first text said, "Mommy it's me Grant I am going to miss the bus but no one can take me what do I do with Joel." I saw another text from my mom, though, that said, "You probably saw some missed calls. Don't worry, I got Grant and we're headed to school." Right after I read these texts, Aubrey came running into the room where I was subbing (school hadn't started yet) and says, all flustered and upset, "Grant was still working on his Secret Santa picture and didn't get breakfast and wouldn't brush his teeth, and he wouldn't go out to the bus, so I got on the bus without him, and he's still at home!" I assured her that everything was ok and that Grandma had gotten him to school. Another mom volunteering that morning overheard part of our conversation and offered to go pick up Grant, if I needed her to, which was so nice. I love being a part of a community of people ready and willing to help each other out. I assured her that all was well, and we got our day started.

I did find it funny that Aubrey had left Grant behind, but she didn't know what else to do, and Joel was still home. Turns out, Joel called me first and didn't get an answer, called Christine and didn't get an answer, and then called Grandma. His next call was going to be the other Grandma and Grandpa, but it didn't come to that. She was able to jump in the car, pick Grant up, and get him to school on time. Crazy kid! When I got home, we talked through our morning and how we need to show love to people even when they're not always nice, because that's what Jesus wants us to do. And then we worked on Secret Santa gifts for the whole rest of the week, so they were ready and waiting to go in his backpack each morning.  The whole situation could have been avoided if we had been more prepared for our day. Lessons learned by all of us.  This was the first big morning botch/missed bus we've had since I started subbing. For the most part, it's worked out pretty well, so hopefully, days like that one will be few and far between!

Oh, and when I volunteered at Grant's winter class party, I saw for myself the little girl who was his Secret Santa partner. She is a sassy little thing who speaks her mind! I can see why he was intimidated by her. He's a pretty strong personality himself, though, so I think he'll be able to hold his own with her. :-)


No comments: