Friday, August 09, 2013

Grant's 3rd Birthday Party

Because we were going to be at the beach on Grant's actual birthday, we celebrated a week early.  I loved watching Grant's face the entire afternoon of his party because he was so happy with everything and so into the whole experience.


Here's his Jake and the Never Land Pirates cake that he told me was, "So cool!" I liked how easy it was.
He wore that blue headband for the whole party. He was dressed up as "Cubby" for his party. Joel and Aubrey were "Jake" and "Izzy."
Saying, "Argh!" like good pirates do. We already had some pirate gear, thanks to Mom M. Last year's Sunriver family vacation's theme was "Treasure in Heaven," and they had all kinds of pirate stuff to go with their treasure theme.  

I asked Greg to work on a treasure map/hunt for the kids, and he stepped up and owned it, rhymes and all. We make a good team, he and I. He's the fun half of this team, the one with the creative juices.
We made "boats" for the snacks, and I did my best to make "Buckey's" sail for the watermelon ship. Grant knew who it was right away.
Grant knew exactly what was supposed to happen at his party. He knew he was in charge, and when it came time to open his presents, he wouldn't start until everyone was sitting down, looking at him.
I liked the way he crossed his leg to open his present.
I'm laughing here because when Grant opened the bop-it croc, he exclaimed, "Oh, my word!" (without saying the "r" sound of course). It was so funny!






 
It's kind of hard to believe my baby is three. My last baby is THREE! I am happy he's three. It means we no longer have a baby or toddler in our house, which means we will be able to do so many more things together as a family. Now, I loved my babies. I treasure those times and will probably shed more tears over the fact that  my babies are growing up. However, we are entering a new phase of life, a phase I am really enjoying.  I can finally say, as of about a month ago, that I am getting a full night's sleep the majority of the time! It took three years to be able to say that (I'm not counting the other six and a half years before he was born. I was sleep deprived for periods of time then, too, but nothing like with Grant), and I can't express just how good it feels to feel rested!!!

Grant is energetic, passionate, and fiery. He is a boy who knows what he wants. He's challenging in so many ways, but he can also be so sweet and winsome, too. He's affectionate and gives some pretty great hugs and kisses. He has been throwing some pretty outrageous tantrums when he doesn't get his way, which happens many times each day. We're working with him and training him, and it's exhausting. He adores his big brother, who is so very patient in playing with him, and allows Kari to mother him and carry him around piggy-back. He and Aubrey get along some of the time and fight some of the time--pretty normal for siblings two years apart. Grant is a picky, finicky eater, and we never know what to feed him. He is also particular about his clothing. He prefers to only ever wear mesh shorts, and it takes some convincing (i.e. manipulating--have Joel tell him they can "match," for example, on Sundays to go to church) to get him to wear anything else. Grant can fall asleep anywhere. He goes, goes, goes until he crashes, and then he's out. We have more pictures of him sleeping in places other than his bed than all the other kids combined. He doesn't take a regular nap anymore but will occasionally fall asleep during his "rest time" in his room and will fall asleep in the car if we go anywhere in the afternoon. If he does take a nap, he's awake until we go to bed. He watched a lot of The West Wing with us this last year and would hum the opening song when it came on. He does finally know his colors; he's not color blind like we thought. He is athletic and does a pretty cute cartwheel.

We sure do love our littlest man and are so thankful for him. We are at a loss sometimes in knowing how to train him and are constantly asking God for wisdom and patience, but it's ok. It's good for us. :) We have a constant reminder (four of them actually) that we need God's help in this life we're living. Grant completes our family and ensures life is always exciting. Thanks for finally sleeping, buddy. We appreciate it! And we love you!

No comments: